[AZ-Observing] Recent Saturn

  • From: Rick Scott <rmscott@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 19:13:17 -0700

I just added a new photo of Saturn I took a few days ago to my web site.
This is my best so far taken with a cheap Quickcam camera and my
Lurie-Houghton telescope. You can see it at:

http://members.home.net/rmscott/space_sky01/saturn20011224.html

I also used the Quickcam to video record last nights Saturn occultation
by the moon. I had to fight some clouds, but did get a reasonable
capture of the event. My 10 year old nephew from Ohio was with me and
enjoyed every second of the event. He's really interested in astronomy,
so it was great for him to participate in my recording of it. Of course,
the clouds cleared up about 15 minutes afterward, so we spent some time
imaging the moon and Jupiter. He worked with me the following day with
the image processing and learned a lot from this.

The video capture created a file that's 451MBytes in size. I have a
utility to compress it, but it's still 16MBytes and the compression
software stripped off the sound track. :( I'll have to find another
utility and try making it smaller.

Rick Scott
rmscott@xxxxxxxx
http://members.home.net/rmscott