[AZ-Observing] Re: Rare Aurigid Meteor Shower

  • From: Jeremy Perez <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:36:42 -0700

The Perseids put on a better show, but this was still nice. I counted
17 meteors from 4:15 - 5:15 AM (11:15 - 12:15 UT). About half of
those were around 1st to 2nd magnitude, with the rest being 3rd
magnitude or fainter. One spectacular meteor flashed up to about -3
magnitude, lighting up some surrounding alto-cumulus clouds as it
blew past Sirius. My wife saw one through our bedroom window just
before I headed outside, and she decided that had to be the best way
to watch this or any other meteor shower. :)

Like Jimmy, I shot 30 second exposures with my Canon Digital Rebel
the whole time I was outside. Only one of the meteors I noticed was
inside the frame of my camera, and it was too faint to pull out of
the noise in the photo. I did find another exposure with a meteor I
had not noticed visually. It was just east of Auriga and had a path
intersecting the southeastern edge of the constellation. I'm pretty
sure this was well outside the zone for the Alpha Aurigid radiant
making it a sporadic meteor. It was close though. And fairly
colorful. The photo can be seen here:

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000720.html

Jeremy Perez
http://beltofvenus.perezmedia.net