[AZ-Observing] Re: Rapid motion binary stars

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:26:36 -0700 (MST)

     gamma Vir has already passed periastron, and is widening out.
The orbit quoted by Steve is incorrect, and there was a later one
(but published before it closed in) that had it right (periastron
was last April or May).
     More generally, I'm not sure quoting ranges that extend out a century
or more are all that relevant to a list like Steve's.  Not only are
such long-period orbits likely to be wrong, but what I would want as
an observer is simply two ephemeris points:  one for "now" and another
one maybe 10 years downstream (maybe 5 if it's really moving, which
probably none besides gamma Vir will be).

\Brian