[AZ-Observing] Re: Raining now after great times at Fred's Meadow

  • From: "Spencer, Darrell" <DSpencer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 14:00:08 +0000

Jack, zeners don't "go out" for no reason.  It likely saw a transient "event"
that exceeded its rated parameters.   They're a poor man's regulator of sorts,
but are usually there only for protection of more sensitive parts of the
circuit.   I noticed you were using a ground cover.  Lots of folks have found
that the polymer ground covers/tarps can be an ugly source of unwanted static
charges.   Probably not good in a low humidity environment with ungrounded and
expensive electronics sitting on top...

Thanks for the peek through that 20".  Memorable.  (They say you always
remember your first...)

Darrell Spencer