[AZ-Observing] Re: RTMC 2008 activities and weather report

  • From: gene lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:17:41 -0700

It is >possible< for up to 13 merit awards (12 plus the Warren Estes
award) to be given out at RTMC (according to the "unofficial rules"),
but the lack of entries the past few years has had the result you
mention.  (I served on the RTMC Merit Awards Committee for about 10
years in the distant past, when we typically had many more entries each
year....)
As I did not tromp around Camp Oakes to discover all the entries this
year, I will take your word for it -- and I may not have paid close
attention to the announcement during the awards ceremony.
I concur with your comments about the venerable and brilliant Bob Pfaff
and Gerry Logan, bright stars in an otherwise meager constellation of
TMs the past few years...  Bob has published valuable comments on his
web pages concerning the technique of producing Schmidt corrector
plates.  They both manage to surprise and delight each year with newly
fabbed, technically superior designs.
There are, of course, a whole family of solutions for SCT optics,
varying the spacing of the corrector plate.  The classic Schmidt Camera
layout (the longest) places the corrector near the Radius of Curvature
of the primary mirror.  There is no doubt in my mind that Tom Johnson,
founder of Celestron (and subsequently, Criterion and Meade) chose the
short version SCT design for compactness, which also permits suppporting
the secondary right in front of the corrector plate, but leaves some coma.
Gene Lucas
(17250)

Stan Gorodenski wrote:

>gene lucas wrote:
>

>>There was not much re: telescope making at RTMC this year.  There were
>>only a couple of talks of interest (IMHO), including Roger Ceragioli from the
>>Steward Mirror Lab speaking on Bernhard Schmidt and his optics (the Goff
>>Memorial lecture).

---