[AZ-Observing] Re: R: 2008 All Arizona Messier Marathon - results

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:19:52 -0400

---- Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tom, try following a 9th magnitude star to the horizon and see how
> far you can still see it even with a 10" scope. I suspect if you look
> away for a moment and then try to find the star even a few degrees
> above the horizon you will fail.

Jeff,

Agreed.  There's not only the effect of extinction, but also the fact that the
sky is always brighter near the horizon - even at midnight.  Add to that the
much-increased turbulence near the horizon blurring point sources out to lower
surface brightness, and there's a lot working against you.

But I'm still not convinced that he did not see it.  As you say, we really need
to know the time of the observation to learn the optimal altitude/time after
sunset.  I noticed that one other person on the list (George Robinson) did see
M77.  He saw 108 objects, and missed only M33 and M74.

Tom