[AZ-Observing] Re: Quotes from public viewing sessions

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 14:20:02 -0700

My grandfather told me stories about Halley's 1910 apparition. Said
there were door-to-door salesmen offering potions to protect against the
poison in the comet's tail (which Earth passed through partially).
Cyanide had been detected spectroscopically, and though it was at a very
small concentration, it was hyped by the media, and scam artists took
advantage of that.  -Dan Heim