[AZ-Observing] Re: Question about Digital Camera Adapter for Eyepiece Photography

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:18:40 -0700

Herve,

I haven't yet tried afocal photography myself, but a couple in our club
have.  I hope to try here in a month or so, I have a year end bonus
coming and a Nikon Coolpix looks awfully tempting.  I'd like to hear
about your experience with the camera.  I understand it is more suitable
for some of the stuff we do at the telescope than some other digital
cameras, allowing longer exposures and in general more flexible with its
built in firmware.

Jack Kennedy showed some great stuff of the moon a couple months ago at
our astrophoto SIG dinner.  He regularly attends, you could come to the
next dinner and ask him yourself how he does it.  The next dinner is Jan
3rd, 7:00pm at the Chine Rose resturant on Speedway.

Sam Rua plays with a Sony Mavica at the eyepiece, but as far as I know
he handholds. For a page full of digital camera images go to...
http://www.balinka.com/astromavica.htm (His page only works for me if I
turn off Javascript).

Last time I was in Sky Works (22nd and Pantano) they had a couple
different camera mountings for afocal in stock, you might grab your
camera and wander over there to check out the possibilities first hand,
much more informative than a catalog page or a website.

Just a couple ideas...

Andrew

--

Andrew Cooper