[AZ-Observing] Problems With Star Test - Need Advise

  • From: "Jim" <jwaters125@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Az-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:52:29 -0700

I just replaced my secondary mirror holder and adjusted my spider so it's
centered in the upper cage assembly.  I now have a distorted image when doing a
star test. When I rack-in to view the image I get what I would expect but one
side of the circle is distorted. It's a perfect circle but the side opposite
the focuser is distorted like the circle has a larger radius. It looks pushed
in.  When I rack-out it changes to the other side.  Its like the light cone is
being cut off or I have tube currents. It can't be tube currents because it's
on the side of the image not the bottom. The mirror is centered in the mirror
box and the secondary is centered with respect to a sight-tube. Any advise?

Jim
Phoenix, AZ
18" Obsession