[AZ-Observing] Problems With Bill #1186 Relative to #1218

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:27:51 -0700

I received the following form letter from Harry Mitchell's office.  In the
last sentence of the second paragraph, he notes that Bill 1186 was a bill
that "has one too many problems."  I'm just being lazy here by asking the
group, but is anybody well versed enough to know about the problems with
1186 that 1218 doesn't have?  If I don't receive an answer on this list, I
will pursue it next week.  Thanks.

Tom

================

Dear Mr. Polakis,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding Senate Bill 1218 and Senate
Bill 1186.  I appreciate your concern on this issue.

Senate Bill 1218 passed out of Committee of the Whole yesterday, and unless
I am mistaken, should be heading over to the House of Representatives for
its consideration.  I am in favor of this bill.  I think that it is
important that we try to curb light pollution now before it has more
detrimental effects on our night sky.  With Phoenix and Tucson's continued
growth, this problem will sky rocket out of control.  I am glad that this
step, although it maybe a small one, is being taken at the state level.
Senate Bill 1186 was a bill that I introduced at the beginning of the
session, however this bill has one too many problems.

If there is anything that I can do for you in the future, please do not
hesitate to contact my office again.

Harry E. Mitchell
State Senate
District 17