[AZ-Observing] Re: Praying for some help

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:04:38 -0700

Well it's a done deal now.  Storm has the info he/she needs to get useable
color images online.  Hard to imagine that any student these days would not
have thought of that source themselves, but students are students, I guess.
Always seeking the path of least resistance ... "Hey, I'll just ask a local
astronomer to shoot the pics for me."  I agree (and regret) that this whole
thing caused so much unnecessary complication and clutter on the forum.

I get questions like this all the time from students, and have a hard time
not assisting them.  But then, when you've taught for 35 years, it kinda
softens your heart.

At least with my suggestion, Storm will be forced to associate individual
stars with their constellations.  That's one of those sneaky things teachers
do when a student asks for help, and you don't want to just hand them the
answer on a silver platter.  I would never have shot the actual photos for
Storm, even if the professor "allowed" it.

Dan