[AZ-Observing] Re: Polaris Transit

  • From: "tpolakis@xxxxxxx" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:51:34 -0500

Stan,

How accurately do you want the azimuth of your polar axis to be=3F  If you=

use the equation of a circle and the fact that the sky rotates at 1 degree=

every four minutes, it looks like you have a fair amount of tolerance on
time=2E  Polaris is roughly 45 arcminutes from the true Pole=2E  If you
polar-align 5 minutes too early or late, that corresponds to less than a 1=

arcminute error in azimuth=2E

I wonder if the inability of the planetarium software to agree on transit
time is due to their calculating the effect of precession without enough
precision=2E  Since Polaris is racing past the Pole, you would have to be
certain that the transit time is being calculated for Equinox 2007=2E  Has=

anybody pitched in yet with a transit time from Guide software=3F  The aut=
hor
Bill Gray seems to be the most interested in high accuracy, and I think
it's still the charting software of choice for astrometry types=2E

Tom=20