[AZ-Observing] Pluto Party March 18

  • From: edwin hubble <hubble_edwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: anahinovoa@xxxxxxxxx, azObserving <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, j.finol@xxxxxxx, jorgeIEEE <jsitke@xxxxxxxx>, plymate@xxxxxxxx, StellarObservatory@xxxxxxxxxxxx, StevePeterson <ccdcat@xxxxxxx>, StevePetersonRaytheon <swpeterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, taaaforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hubble_edwin@xxxxxxxxx, isac_81@xxxxxxxxxxx, rincon-ranch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, teresa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keith Schlottman <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 03:19:24 -0700 (PDT)

We had a great Pluto imaging party at Steve's,
preceded by a tasty dinner at Argenziano's.

It is great to observe with a team of good friends !

We even watched part of a Star Wars movie until it
cleared !!

Many thanks to Steve for his hospitality, Keith for
the camera, and to Chip, Michael and Larry for their
contribution.

Michael, do not forget your power supply ever again !

Steve did a fantastic job obtaining 650 images of
Pluto, 4 second exposures, every 5.2 seconds, plus all
the necessary calibration frames, timed to one second
accuracy.

Everything done while I was bothering him with
suggestions for better focusing procedures !! We
focused that 14 inch to death !

All the files, neatly arranged by Steve in folders,
with raw and calibrated images in various formats,
plus output of the old EzPhot photometry program with
thousands of magnitude measurements for Pluto/Star and
many surrounding stars in the field, compressed in a
single .zip file, amount to some 380 Mb.

The only thing missing in there is a copy of the Star
Wars movie !

We cannot find Steves's copy of the Canopus photometry
program.

So far I cannot see an occultation event, but it may
be hiding somewhere in that hour of observing. We
shall see !

Victor Herrero