[AZ-Observing] Re: Pleiades Occultation

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:28:24 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244
Hi Tom,
I watched the Alcyone occultation this morning after having observed Jupiter
for a couple hours. I started the evening literally trying to find a good
location on my property to look at Saturn with its edge-on rings. I finally
found a decent spot, but by that time Saturn was very low. I could see the
flattened ball of the planet, no rings, but the moon Titan was seen. I then
spent some time looking at a few double stars, most notably, Izar in Bootes, nu
Scorpii, Antares, and epsilon Lyrae, all fully resolved, with very good seeing,
though it was very humid and lots of lightning activity to the southeast. I
then watched Jupiter with the Great Red Spot followed very closely by a
smaller, red barge that I think will collide with the GRS very soon. The NEB
showed lots of detail with a few large white ovals indenting it on the north
edge. As I observed the GRS I noticed that two of Jupiter's moons were
approaching each other. Their relative movement was surprisingly fast and if
there was an eclipse or transit I missed it, but I saw the moons nearly meld
into one another. All that while, I kept watching for the impact area, but I
could not see it. Has it faded out or was there too much moisture building up
on my optics that I didn't realize?

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)