[AZ-Observing] Re: Planetary Alignment

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:55:22 -0700

At 02:07 PM 4/26/02 -0700, Joe Orman wrote:

>Mercury is now easily visible with the other planets in the western sky
after sunset.  All 5 unaided-eye planets are now within 45 degrees of each
other along the ecliptic. This web page by the Harvard-Smithsonian Center
for Astrophysics is one of the best I've seen on the planetary alignment,
with a graphic for every evening between now and May 18:
>http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/grandtour/allcharts.html

Nice charts, but I wonder why they took such artistic license with the
portrayal of Orion.  The planets and the Hyades are in about the correct
orientation for an observer at 35-40 degrees north latitude.  Orion is much
too close to the planets and too "upright" for this latitude.  Orion set
almost like this from 60 degrees north, but earlier in the year, before
it's swallowed up by the lengthy Spring twilight.  Same deal with Gemini in
the May charts.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis