[AZ-Observing] Re: Pierre Schwaar's 65th Birthday

  • From: "Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)" <mrgalaxy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 06:46:52 GMT

15480 Empire Rd.
Benson, AZ 85602
hm ph: 520-586-2244

Wow, that is hard to accept that Pierre (Pete as I knew him in Tucson) has been
gone 12 years and that he would now be 65. Thanks for remembering a wonderful
and ingenious friend, Jenn and Tom.

Although Pierre didn't have much, he always had a bed for my wife, Arlene, and
I to sleep in when we came to Phoenix to visit my daughter, Kristen. I still
remember his binocular chair fondly and his Jovian time-lapse videos were
outstanding.

Despite the nearly full moon tonight (14/15 May), I was outside observing
double stars in Lyra. At 10:55pm AZ local time I sensed a bright, blue-white
light moving and knew immediately it wasn't a car going by. I pulled away from
the eyepiece as quick as I could and saw a nice approximately -10 bolide nearly
overhead traveling south to north through the keystone of Hercules. It ended
pretty much overhead so that I don't think anybody in Phoenix should have seen
it, but observers in the Sierra Vista/Tucson area probably witnessed it.
Beautiful way to celebrate Pierre's birthday.

Clear skies,
Wayne (aka Mr. Galaxy)