[AZ-Observing] Picketpost Mountain Trailhead Observing Tonight

  • From: Tom Polakis <polakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:46:20 -0700

Hi all,

I couldn't get out last night, so I going to try out a new observing site
tonight.  It's the Picketpost Mountain Trailhead just west of the Boyce
Thompson Arboretum trailhead.  Last month, I got a chance to check it out
under clouds, and it was free of horizon lights and traffic, with plenty of
space for setting up.

The road to the trailhead (Tonto Forest Road #231) is about 0.4 miles east
of mile marker 221 on Rte. 60, not far past Gonzales Pass.  It is a
well-graded dirt road that ends a bit over a mile in at some ramadas.  I
will set up at the end of the road.  Be sure to take a left (east) at the T
intersection shown on the map at:

http://www.endersmedia.com/hike-picketpost.html

Note that the map has north to the left, which should be repugnant to
anybody in our hobby.

Tom

---

Tom Polakis