[AZ-Observing] Re: Pickering Scale/Equal Magnitude Doubles

  • From: "William R Wood" <wmrwood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:28:56 -0700

Hi Andrew,

No, I do not try to compensate the Pickering scale scope-to-scope and agree
with you completely that the effective seeing for the instrument you are
using is what counts and what should be recorded.

After I get my technique perfected on the Pickering scale, as best I can
anyway :o),   I will try to equate those scores with Brian Skiff's equal
magnitude doubles method.  In other words is 2" seeing equivalent to
Pickering 5 or 6 or 7??

As to Brian's method does anyone know what magnification should be used to
test seeing? Brian's list of equal magnitude doubles contains mostly
magnitude 6-7 pairs at various fairly tight separations.  Since some folks
can split doubles at much lower magnification than others, do we need a
standard magnification (ie. 50x/inch of aperture) to make results
consistent?

Another question is whether it is appropriate to use brighter stars when
testing seeing with smaller scopes.  Lastly, in using Brian's method, if I
can easily split a 2.5" pair must I then try a 2" pair and so on down the
list until I find the separation that I cannot split?

Regards,

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ