[AZ-Observing] Re: Photos: Moon Rising and Planes Landing

  • From: "Jon Christensen" <jonc97@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:45:51 -0700

All really cool pictures, Tom.

Jon Christensen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
To: <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:27 PM
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Photos: Moon Rising and Planes Landing

Many times in my 20 years of making the commute from Tempe to the
intersection of 34th Street and Washington, I have watched airplanes pass
near the rising or setting moon and thought, "hey, that would make a great
photo!"  I have found that the best phase is just before or after Full Moon,
when the lighting is right and the moon's altitude is low.  Ideally, the
moon should be rising or setting south of due east, which contrains the time
to range between April and August.

Unfortunately, the combination of the correct moon phase, clear skies, and
free time never seem to converge.  Tonight, however, I got home from work,
ran my desktop planetarium software, and realized the circumstances were
going to be good at around 6:30 p.m.  I headed back to a site near the east
end of the north runway.  A dirt lot along Air Lane between 40th St. and the
lonely Route 153 freeway is popular among plane-spotters.

There was no shortage of air traffic.  Planes that appear larger than the
moon in these photos are approaching the north runway, and those that are
smaller are on final to the middle runway.  I used a 300mm lens on a Canon
20D camera.

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/skyharbormoon

Tom