[AZ-Observing] Photographing the Eclipse

  • From: Jim Warthman <jwarthmanlists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing az-observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 07:43:10 -0700

Never having photographed the sun, I decided to photograph this weekend's
annular eclipse. I'll be using a Canon 5D Mark II mounted on a tripod, and
using one or two lenses with focal lengths from 24 - 200mm. Both lenses take
77mm filters.
I purchased two kinds of solar film in sheet form: an A4 sheet of BAADER
AstroSolar? Density 5 - Visual film, and a similar sized sheet of Seymour Solar
film.

I've never used solar film, nor made my own filters for my lenses. I've seen
some of the instructions on the web for fashioning filters to go over dew
shields, but I'm not sure how well this would work for my two zoom lenses.
Also, I've read that, when film is mounted parallel to the camera sensor,
reflections can be an issue inside the camera and cause ghosting.

So my question is, how important is it to fashion a relatively "flat" filter,
versus just wrapping the film around the front of the lens, and attaching with
a rubber band? This would most likely cause the film to bulge out slightly
rather than lying flat, and it might introduce some slight wrinkles in the
surface of the film. Would this cause optical distortions, or is it a "safe"
way to attach the film?

Thanks much for any and all suggestions!

Jim