[AZ-Observing] Re: Perseids anyone?

  • From: Don.Hinchliffe@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:13:15 +0000

I was able to get out for three hours starting at 9pm MST (early but had to
try). Just in my back yard under the street light.
I only saw one during that time, about 9:25pm there was one very large
fireball that streaked through Sagittarius.

It started in the clouds, peaking out here and there through the breaks.
Then it headed into the clear as it approached the top of Sagittarius. It
was very bright throughout the length, brightening at the end, The head was
red/orange and flashed three times then went out. The tail had small
sparkles (best description I can come up with) that grew in concentration
at the end. I have not seen one like it in years.

I was out until just before midnight and never saw another. The cloud cover
ranged from about 65% to 95% all evening. I finally gave up at just before
midnight when the clouds finally closed over. I was taking pictures all the
time and did not catch any, the one at 9:25 was just out of frame.

If the clouds cooperate I may try again tonight, Hopefully there will be
some leftovers......

Don