[AZ-Observing] Re: P/Holmes tonight (Oct 26.1 UT)

  • From: "Spencer, Darrell" <DSpencer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 06:56:39 -0700

Not really much to add to all the reports here.  Folks seem to have
honed their descriptive skills to a razor's edge.   In my 10" newt, the
object last night appeared just as described below by Jeremy.  To my
eye, the most pleasing magnification was at 190X (on my scope).  I
observed it until 10:30PM and then up again at 4:00AM for another
extended gaze.  I was transfixed.  I'm not sure if it's because of all
the excitement here, its temporary nature, or its appearance.  Probably
all three.

The comments that struck home were (paraphrased) regarding this being an
object you'll not likely get a chance to see this way again in your
lifetime.  This outburst will be referred to another 115 years from now
(long after we're gone) by future observers.

I was happy to share the view with my oldest son last night.  He's
pretty jaded by my calls to look at night-time delights, but this one
struck his fancy.  Speaks well of the cometary allure.

Darrell Spencer (who's wishing for darker skies . . . and some sleep)