[AZ-Observing] Re: Other pictures from Vekol 2 weeks ago

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:19:42 -0700 (MST)

     When I classified galaxies on the POSS-II film that shows
the M31 group, I called NGC 205 type SA(s)0-.  It is pretty clearly
not an elliptical-type galaxy, but has a disc-like collar and other
features that take it out of the E class.  There aren't any true
ellipticals as elongated as NGC 205, the most elongated ones corresponding
to type about E4 or so.  All the E5, E6, E7 types you see published
in various catalogues are actually lenticulars when examined on good
plates/images (i.e. they have discs and vestigal spiral arms or arcs).

\Brian