[AZ-Observing] Re: Other pictures from Vekol 2 weeks ago

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

I've looked for the ring in other pics and didn't see it as
prominantly, if at all. It may be a color difference but not really a
brightness difference.

NGC 205 is an unusual elliptical in that it does have more dust and
gas than typical. And it did have star formation a few to a few score
million years ago. The tidal tail is certainly real and some other
pictures seem to show an anti-tail or at least an asymetric outer
halo of sorts. Spiral is too strong a word and that is why I had the
prominant *maybe* there.

It is odd, but I haven't been able to find a picture of NGC 205 that
shows all these details well. Either they go deep into the core
and/or overexpose everything. Jon's picture is spectacular, and even
more so when you consider all his equipment fits into a Range Rover.

Joe Larkin