[AZ-Observing] Re: Oscilloscope <and rockets!>

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:05:23 -0700

Damn, I kinda started this thread with my original comments about
calculator use in classrooms, so I feel obligated to share one of my own
stories about surviving the "dangers" of childhood. I know this is all a
bit removed from astronomy, but the topic obviously touched a nerve. So
here's a story about one of my chemistry experiments ...

Bucket with about an inch of water for cooling. Empty quart soda bottle
(back when they were made of glass) in the bucket. About an inch of
water in the soda bottle. Add Draino and shreds of aluminum foil. Stir
gently. Within a few seconds the mixture starts evolving hydrogen gas.
Slip a large balloon over the mouth of the bottle and watch it inflate.
Viola! A buoyant "hydrogen bomb." Now tie off the balloon with a string
rubbed with wax (as a fuse). Clip off just enough fuse so it's still
buoyant. Take it outside at night, light the fuse, and let it rise. If
all went as planned, about 100 feet up the flame would reach the balloon
and produce a nice orange fireball (was never quite sure where the
orange came from ... probably some trace chemical mixed with the
hydrogen). After the appropriate speed-of-sound delay, the sound of the
explosion (more of a whoosh than a bang) would arrive. Launched dozens
of these things one summer vacation.

Or folly came to an end when, after one launch, the balloon caught a
downdraft and got hung up on a playground fence. Several young kids saw
it and immediately ran to get the big balloon. The fuse was still lit,
and me and my buddies were yelling "No! Get away from it!" Luckily, for
all involved, it detonated before the kids could get close enough to be
burned. That was the last one we launched.

Dan Heim