[AZ-Observing] Re: Orion fix

  • From: "Andrew Goodwin" <a.goodwin1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:18:04 -0700

In reading the messages at Yahoo I found this post, and Tom only the object
locater "times out" movement of the scope does not prevent this. You must
press a button within the 15 min to keep it going.

 I agree with you on all of these points that they are nuisances. If you
are willing to put up with the slight inconvenience, you can work around
each of them:

> 1) controller shuts off after 15 mins

Purchase the upgrade to extend to 50min, or use the trick with a pc
planetarium program with the test mode.

> 2) Planet location are not calculated correctly

Best way around is as someone pointed out, use a pc or palmtop to get
the correct coordinates, and use the coordinate display of the locator
to find them.

> 3) no external connector for external power supply

If you don't want to modify your locator, you could use a pair of
alligator clips inside the battery compartment to clip onto the
terminals. Alternatively, something I have done in the past is to cut a
block of wood the same size as a 9V battery, then tape wires at the end
so that they contact with the locators contacts. Have these wires hang out.

> 4) Controller cant be upgraded. It uses a single microcontroller, a
> Motorola MC68HC705C8A. This is a one time programmable . Now I could
> be wrong.

Yes, it is OTP. There is an upgradeable flash chip, but I am 99% certain
this is only used for the database, and not the control program.

> 5) Display light should be red NOT green.

I've been considering doing a mod to replace these with red. Is there a
lot of interest out there? To do so, it would require soldering surface
mount components inside your locator.