[AZ-Observing] Orion Wide Field

  • From: Albert Barr <ajbarr@xxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, az-astroimaging@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 12:33:00 -0700

Last night I did a test with my Canon 60 DA and the little Celestron VX mount I
bought for portability. I’ve never guided with this setup so I bought a small
Orion guide scope and set up a side by side on the saddle so I had the Canon on
the left and the guide scope and my very old Star Shoot autoguider on the right.
I had some difficulty getting the guiding to work properly but after some
fiddling I got it working. I did all 300 second images and then added some 15
and 30 seconds for the core of M42 before the moon came up.

I shot this with a 100mm lens at F6.3 ISO 800. If I had more time I would have
put another hour on this as the Horse Head clearly needed more time. Having
said that, I think this rig has a lot of promise for some good wide fields.
This image, by the way, was cropped significantly.

Albert

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49526053@N04/16466270075/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/49526053@N04/16466270075/>