[AZ-Observing] Re: Operating System

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:20:21 -0700 (MST)

     To get back to the original question:  you would have heard about it
if the common commercial image-processing packages didn't work reasonably
smoothly on certain platforms.  If a PC is poorly configured or simply
underpowered, then poor performance might be unsurprising.  You probably
don't want to have much else on the system besides the application (delete
all the games, screen-savers, etc.).  I presume you're talking about "pretty
picture" sorts of image-processing, which seems to be seriously memory-
intensive.
     For the Lowell LONEOS asteroid survey project, we happen to use two
Linux boxes to grind through the data each night.  But this image-processing
consists of nothing more than blob-finding (stars etc) on about 10Gb of
CCD frames per night, doing astrometric solutions, churning out lists of
RA/Dec/mag for everything, and sorting the list to look for moving things.
The software is ho'made, and there's nothing else on the machines besides
the operating system itself (and no keyboard or monitor either); they do
run fast, and don't crash.  But I would think that there is no specific
advantage to having them run under Linux rather than MS-whatever or having
Macs.  We don't need graphics, but sheer number-crunching; the bottlenecks
are copying files among the discs, not processor speed.

\Brian