[AZ-Observing] Re: Operating System

  • From: PHXJeff@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:32:20 EDT

>> You might also look at the MacOS. Image processing really shines on the
>> Mac. Forget MHz, a 500 MHz Mac doing image processing out performs a
>> Intel box at over twice the MHz.
>>
>> Most people doing image processing (not just astronomical) prefer the Mac.
>
>All of that is true but the variety of astronomical image software is ot
>nearly as good for the Mac.

While this may be true, there are options. I purchased a Mead CCD system
and software. The software was for PC only (really terrible software,
BTW). I used the software with Virtual PC on my Mac PowerBook and it
worked fine. This was both data acquisition and imaging manipulation
software. Most applications for the PC will work fine on the Mac with
Virtual PC. In fact they usually run faster in the emulation mode on the
Mac than on an equivalent PC. :-)

Jeff

Jeff Hopkins                            HPO SOFT
4th Dimension Partner         7812 West Clayton Drive
FileMaker Pro Expert          Phoenix, AZ 85033-2439 U.S.A.
BASIC/C++ Programmer          (623) 849-5889 (Fax)
www.hposoft.com               Over 25 years of Programming
www.amug.org/~hposoft         and Database Development Experience