[AZ-Observing] Re: Operating System

  • From: PHXJeff@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 01:37:44 EDT

>I don't know if this is the correct forum for these questions, but I do
>not know where else I may be able to post them.  If inappropriate,
>please direct me to another discussion group.
>
>I have been told that running imaging processing software in a Microsoft
>Windows operating system causes the pc to bog down to the point where
>the pc has to be rebooted every couple hours or days (days if the
>machine is never turned off).  Also, I have been told that this problem
>does not exist with Linnex (misspelled?, syn Redhat) operating systems.
>Has anyone experienced this?  Could anyone shed some light on the
>subject of preferred operating systems for astronomical software, and
>any computer resource problems in running image processing software?

You might also look at the MacOS. Image processing really shines on the
Mac. Forget MHz, a 500 MHz Mac doing image processing out performs a
Intel box at over twice the MHz.

Most people doing image processing (not just astronomical) prefer the Mac.

Jeff

Jeff Hopkins                            HPO SOFT
4th Dimension Partner         7812 West Clayton Drive
FileMaker Pro Expert          Phoenix, AZ 85033-2439 U.S.A.
BASIC/C++ Programmer          (623) 849-5889 (Fax)
www.hposoft.com               Over 25 years of Programming
www.amug.org/~hposoft         and Database Development Experience

---
with the subject: unsubscribe.