[AZ-Observing] On taking Advice and Things for Sale

  • From: "Kimball Corson" <kandj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:28:52 -0700

Hi Steve (and Others),
Well I took your advice and bought a new CG-5 Advanced Series Go To mount and
then decided I had to slap a new 9.25 SCT with XLT coatings on it.  Right away
I was forced to learn and locate three stars just to calibrate the combination
for use, which is no small trick given my ignorance of the night sky and the
limited field of view from my backyard.  I don't dare use my front yard yet
lest my neighbors think I am as nuts as I am. The club should have sold tickets
and served drinks to watch my fumbling antics which included ducking from time
to time to keep from being hit by a rotating OTA, and tripping over my DC power
cord a few times. However, I am happy to report that the system actually works
and works pretty well once properly set up.  I was able to navigate the light
polluted night sky from one dark smudge to the next, trying to learn their
names and shapes as I went. I can also report that the CG-5 AS GT mount is
adequate for the 9.25, rumors to the contrary notwithstanding. At 336x with a
7mm eyepiece, settling times on the moon and such are just a few seconds, which
I could improve upon, I am told, by vibration pads. I also have an older CG-5
for which I have a sale pending, and can report the new one has a much tighter
mount with less play in it and of course beefier tripod legs and mounting head.
 The new 9,25 SCT has the XLT coatings which supposedly increase light
transmission by 16% relative to standard coatings so I figure I have the
equivalent of a 10" scope with standard coatings. In any event, at this
juncture, I have more scope capability than skill which is a nice fix to be in
regarding scopes. From acquiring this new rig, however, I now have a few items
for sale which I price more favorably for club members or thread readers: They
are:

TV Binoviewer in excellent condition and not much used. With the TV 2x
barlow/corrector. This is the newer design with the deep compression tubes for
eyepieces to allow diopter adjustment by seating one eyepiece slightly more
than the other. A nice unit. With caps and all original packing. Selling
because I have too much other equipment to fuss with just now and need to focus
on learning the night sky. $600.

Celestron gray aluminum 8" SCT OTA with Starbright coatings and Fastar
capability in excellent condition with Bob's Knobs, mounting dovetail for CG-5,
6x30 finder and mount, a 1 1/4" visual back, a new Celestron Baader solar
filter specifically for the C-8 ($90), and a new JMI C-8 hard case for the OTA
which cost $150.00. Excellent optics; this scope is a good one. Selling to
finance my larger SCT because I bought a new GT mount. $625.

If interested, just let me know.

Cheers to all,

Kimball Corson