[AZ-Observing] Re: Omega Centauri

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:49:40 -0700

Jeff,

I had a similar experience back in 86.  I hauled my 17" Dob up to Walnut
Canyon east of Flagstaff to look at Halley's Comet.  I saw this "faint
fuzzy" near the horizon, lower than I was expecting for the comet, and
checked it out.  It was Omega Centauri, which looked spectacular that night.
I had heard about it, but never seen it until then.  I'm going to try for it
from New River tonight just for the hell of it, and see if I can pick it out
of the PHX sky glow.  NGC 5139 crosses the meridian at 1:23 am and reaches a
peak elevation of just under 9°.  I'm only at 2200 feet here, but if the
dust from this recent wind has settled enough, I just might get lucky.

Dan Heim
President
Desert Foothills Astronomy Club
http:/www.dfacaz.org