[AZ-Observing] Re: Omega Centauri

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 08:56:26 -0700

Don, best place to see Omega Centauri is anywhere south of Phoenix and
avoiding the glow of Tucson.  While it has been many decades since I've been
to Vekol Rd that should be a reasonable place.  Another is the Antenna site
well west of Phoenix.  Not sure about other sites east of the Valley,
perhaps Griffith (spelling?) Ranch but I've never been there.

My best view was from a site very near the Multiple Mirror Telescope, in
1984, and after the lights of Nogales were turned off.  Although it was only
12° above the horizon it more than filled the eye piece field of view.  A
truly memorable observation that hasn't been duplicated.

Good luck on your quest and let us know your results.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ