[AZ-Observing] Re: Occultation of Saturn

  • From: Chuck Akers <akersc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:12:16 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the reminder and my thanks to Joe for posting exact times on your
site.

I got the scope out at 04:50 and both Saturn and the moon were clear and bright
with some atmospheric distortion slightly noticeable.  Using my 8" Dobsonian
with 8mm Vixen Ultra Wide 150X,  I observed the rings contact the lunar horizon
at 05:00:53 by WWV time hack.  The planet disk was next at 05:01:21 and Saturn
set was at 05:02:08.

The dark side of the moon edge was not visible by my observation but Saturn
rise was right on time peaking out at 06:29:40 and was fully visible at
06:31:04.

This occultation was in my opinion, as exciting as the Jupiter occultation on
August 15th but much cooler.  If you missed it, you missed a good one but the
September 8th Astronomy Picture of the Day although not even close to seeing it
for yourself but is definitely worth a look if you hadn't already seen it.

Good observing and clear skies!

Chuck

  kellerjt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
To everyone (and Telrad)!

A little reminder of another "Joe Orman Moment"

Get up early and point your scope at the Moon early Monday morning.

"September 10 (morning): Occultation of Saturn by last-quarter moon, very
high in sky (disappears before sunrise 5:01am, reappears in daylight
6:29am)."

JTP

P.S. Check out Joe's site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/pam.orman/JoeGallery.html
for some really great
"Landscape Astrophotography" and a copy of his Sky Events Calendar.
---
This message is from the AZ-Observing mailing list. If you wish to be

This is a discussion list. Please send personal inquiries directly to
the message author. In other words, do not use "reply" for personal
messages. Thanks.