[AZ-Observing] Re: Occultation attempted at Badger Springs Road

  • From: stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:11:28 -0700 (MST)

> I can see 5.4 mag stars from my backyard in N Phx and if I can see 6.5 mag
> stars from there and it's only 35-40 miles up the road I'd say it's a good
> spot or at least worth checking out a few times. I'd try getting up on one
> of
> the hills. If low riders can't get to it so much the better.

I doubt you can get up on one of the hills, but I could be wrong. One
positive thing about it, if I remember correctly, is that it has an
outhouse!

The other way Gene mentioned, I believe is gotten to by taking the Bloody
Basin Road. I'm too lazy to go back and hunt up his previous message to
verfy my understanding, but if I misrecollect, he can correct me. *IF*
this is the other way he mentioned, you would already be at Bloody Basin
Road. Instead of going miles further to his suggested location (which is I
believe when the road climbs aftrer crossing the Agua Fria), you might
just as well head west on Bloody Basin. I used to observe a few miles west
and and a couple hundred feet south of the road. It is nice and open for
observing. As I mentioned, it has been many years since I observed there
(over 20?) and one thing I noticed, then, is that at 10 pm it gets
turbulent. However, I was younger then and more picky. Also, changing
weather patterns from global warming may have moderated or eliminated
this.
Stan