[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing this weekend

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 17:46:38 EDT

Hi AJ,

The Doney Mtn. Picnic Area is near Wupatki National Monument. Take Hwy 89A
north from Flagstaff for about 26 miles--just a couple of miles north of the
small community of Antelope Hills--and turn right into the northernmost
entrance  to Wupatki. Drive about 9.5 miles to the paved entrance (right turn)
to the
 picnic area.

We had a nice group there, last night. Lynn Blackburn, Brent & JoAnne
Archinal, Max Oelschlaeger, Jeremy Perez and a few others turned out for some
fine
dark sky observing. The new 18-inch performed well. We used the
ArgoNavis/ServoCAT powered Obsession to observe the supernova in NGC 6946,  all
five
members of Stephan's Quintet and nearby NGC 7320C; the 15.2 magnitude  central
star
in M57 and nearby IC 1296. Towards the end of the night, I put the  AN in tour
mode and observed some open clusters in Cassiopeia.

Regards,

Bill in Flagstaff:
Bill,  sounds like some folks at CAS are getting ready for an evening of
observing.  I just hope the weather holds out for all of us.  I  haven't
been to the Doney Mt Picnic area, is it before or after Hart  Prarie Trail?

Bill  Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"