[AZ-Observing] Observing site report

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:51:55 -0700

Howdy all;

I had some time this afternoon and used it to try out several of the
observing sites that AJ and I found last week.  The site off of Courthouse
Road is not very good.  The I-10 freeway stretches 20 miles across the
northern horizon with all the lights of the traffic and the rest stop are
quite prominent.  Also, Courthouse Road itself has quite a bit of traffic
and it is much closer.  I was not impressed and I don't think that I would
like to make use of this site.

However, AJ and I found a location that is on the other side of the Saddle
Mountains.  Being on the south side of this small range really blocks off
all the light from the traffic to the north and a convenient low ridge
blocks the lights of the Palo Verde Power Station to the east.  The dirt
road drive is shorter, about 3 miles, than the Dirt Blvd. site and this dirt
road is in excellent condition.  The only problem with this site is that for
about one second of time the lights along the road aim at the observing
area.  The good news is that only one vehicle drove along the road while we
were there.  Andrew Goodwin found that this is located on Bureau of Land
Management property, so we are OK going to this area.

I cannot make it out of town for observing on Saturday.  If a few folks wish
to try the "Saddle Mountain Site", I would like to hear a report.

To Rick Tejera, I used the name "Saddle Mountain Site" for this spot to the
south, since the Courthouse Road site is almost surrounded by lights and is
not a good location.

Clear Skies;

Steve Coe

Directions to Saddle Mountain Site

Altitude 1040 Ft.  N 33 21.865  W 113 01.900

Drive west on I-10 to the Wintersburg Rd. Exit, this is Exit 98. Turn left
(south) over the freeway and you will be driving directly toward the domes
of the Palo Verde Power Station. Drive south for 9.1 miles until you reach a
"T" at Elliot Rd. Turn right (west) on Elliot Rd.

** For the return trip, notice that Wintersburg Road has become 383rd Ave.**

Drive west on Elliot Rd for 5 miles until you reach mile marker zero.
Careful as you drive along Elliot Rd. there is a severe dip and a cattle
guard that needs to be taken at a SLOW speed.

Take a right onto the dirt road marked 435th Ave. You will pass a signpost
marked 435th  Ave. and Dobbins Rd.  After 3 miles you will see Mile Marker
12. Just after Mile Marker 12 the road turns to the right in a big, sweeping
turn and then back to the left. Just after the road straightens, about 0.4
miles beyond mile marker 12, there is a right turn marked with a rock pile.
Turn right off the main dirt road and then take the left fork. Note the gas
line marker number 398. Just after the marker you will see a large area just
made for setting up lots of telescopes. You are there.