[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing in Arizona -- State Trust Land

  • From: Joe Larkin <joeclarkin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:03:58 -0700 (PDT)

I think you can do astronomy on State Trust Land (STL) but every
person (or family) needs a permit. Part of the law about STL makes it
a requirement that it generate revenue from use.

Camping, Hiking and Off highway driving are allowed with a permit.
Hunters are allowed on it because they pay the fee through the
hunting permit. Amateur astronomers would likely fit under camping,
sightseeing and photography, all permited activities.

Every individual on STL must be covered by a permit. There are
individual permits for $15 and family permits for $20. Note that
family permits cover immediate family that lives under one roof.

There are also group permits, but I don't know how they work and
these would probably be a bit cumbersome for regular star parties.
But they might be just the thing for a small group of motivated
observers.

More information is available at:
http://www.land.state.az.us/programs/natural/rec_offroad_permit.htm

Joe Larkin