[AZ-Observing] Observing from Cabeza Prieta

  • From: Lynn Blackburn <lynnrb11@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:00:20 -0800 (PST)

I spent  the weekend (Fri & Sat. nights) in Cabeza Prieta NWR which is about 35
mi. south of Sentinel. Both nights were  cloudless. Fri night transparency was
low and heavy dew sent me to the tent early. Sat. night was much better. As the
moon set the earthshine was naked eye visible on the horizon after the thin
crescent was below the horizon. The dark lanes in the Milky Way were very
defined, seemed to be etched in the area near Cygnus. Naked eye views of  M31
were the best I have ever seen. The oval shape could be seem apart from the
core. Lighter dew Sat. Night The most disappointing part of the night was the
Phoenix light dome, still very visible from this distance! Lynn