[AZ-Observing] Observing at Sunset Crater National Monument

  • From: <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:27:15 -0700

In between monster snow storms over the last couple months, I've enjoyed two
beautiful nights at Cinder Hills Overlook at Sunset Crater National Monument.

There is something ominous and awesome about driving along the very bottom edge
of the steep, snow-packed volcano on the way to the observing site. In typical
fashion, the site was a bit breezy both nights, but nothing close to the
miserable wind that can kick up there at times. By positioning the car as my
wind break, I was able to settle into some nice, long, low-power observations.

Nothing groundbreaking here, but the site still does wonders even for the
showpiece objects. Reports and sketches below…

Markarian's Chain & Surroundings
27 Galaxies (2.5 x 4 degree Multifield):
http://www.beltofvenus.net/archives/001410.html

Messier 42/43:
http://www.beltofvenus.net/archives/000325.html

NGC 2244 and Sh 2-275 (The Rosette Nebula)
http://www.beltofvenus.net/archives/000541.html

NGC 2024 (Flame Nebula) - This an older one from November…
http://www.beltofvenus.net/archives/001381.html

While at the site in January, I attempted some tripod photography, but
accidentally left my ISO at 200 and had a horrible time processing it. So on my
February visit I tried to be a bit more meticulous with my settings. I came
away with 3 separate image sets of Orion, Canis Major, Taurus and Mars setting
over the snow covered volcano. This is not a moonlit set, so the mountain is
pretty subtle. It was interesting to see the extent to which the Flagstaff
light dome cut into the Milky Way. Visually it's noticeable, but not obnoxious.
Although obnoxious would be a good way to describe how hard it made processing
a couple of the images. The photos are here:
http://www.beltofvenus.net/archives/001411.html

I also finally got around to working up an observing-site-details page for
Cinder Hills Overlook here:
http://www.beltofvenus.net/archives/001408.html

Clear skies and mudbog-free observing sites everyone,
Jeremy
http://www.beltofvenus.net