[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing Trip Comments

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:14:06 -0800

Bill,
Your experience on the rim matches mine down the rim. The second week of January
I, with a friend, hiked down the Bright Angel Trail. About a year earlier I had
given someone advice on how to hke down it based on my experience 40 years ago.
Then one could go at a loping pace all the way down. Now, the trail is broken up
with logs to prevent erosion (probably caused by the mules), it is rutted from
the mules, and there is plenty of mule stuff on the ground. One definitely
cannot go as fast down the trail as I did 40 years ago without ending up with
pretty sore knees.

The web site had no pictures of Phantom Ranch. Now I know why. They are pretty
ordinary and not the old well built buildings one might expect. We stayed in the
dormitories. That was a mistake. I could not sleep a single wink all night
because of the snoring. The next day I had to hike out without having had any
sleep the night before, and then drive back the same day. An unforgettable
experience.
Stan