[AZ-Observing] Observing Sites in AZ and Clubs

  • From: Robert Ayers <astroayers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 22:31:30 -0800

I'm a lurker on this list, currently living in San Jose California.  I
have a "dark sky" site a bit under two hours southeast of San Jose,
but a) although it is the darkest possible within three hours of San
Jose that isn't dark-dark and b) it isn't desert and it is hazy a lot.

For a couple of years, on and off, I've been looking for an astro-site
in Arizona, with the thought of living there (perhaps half time -- I'm
retired) or just visiting it during lunar dark-time.   I've been
looking for a site with both a) dark skies and b) good seeing.  I've
found a couple of candidates: in the "black" or "dark grey" and with
hilltops for good seeing.

One of my concerns about the whole venture is "If I had a good
astro-site, wouldn't it be a waste to own a good site and only use it
occasionally?"   Also in my thinking is "And would things be safe if
the site was little-visited?"

Those thoughts lead to: "Maybe I could create a site for myself and
also host local observers there."

What do you-all think?   Maybe there are enough good sites in AZ that
this is uninteresting.  On the other hand, maybe the attraction of a
private dark site where one could store equipment -- and not have to
transport it -- would be attractive.

If the above sounds of interest to you I am interested in corresponding further.

Bob Ayers
www.RobertMartinAyers.org <= A bit about me
www.RobertMartinAyers.org/willow-springs <= My California site