[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing Sites Map

  • From: SteveM <zrx.steve@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:13:07 -0700 (PDT)

Most GPS units have a computer port like a mini-usb port.  This allows you to
upload Points of Interest to your GPS.  For Garmin you can use Mapsource  For
instance, I have a POI database of all Arizona Campgrounds, observing sites, RV
Dump Sites, etc.  When I travel I always check tripadvisor.com for the "local
attactions", "best restaurants", etc. and if I find something interesting I put
it on mapsource and then upload the comprehensive points to the GPS.  When I
input POI's myself, I always include extra information such as website and
phone numbers (fields on the waypoint) too.  They can be nice to  have in the
field so you can call ahead for availability, reservations, hours etc.  In
addition, when I'm travelling, I always pre-drop the POIs on my GPS with a
common prefix.  For instance, I went to Des-Moines, IA last week and listed
everything there like IA-Customer, IA-Hotel, IA-Gym, IA-Airport, IA-Rental Car
Return, etc.  I also saved that map in
 the customer's folder and I'll use it the next time I go.  I prefer to do this
in the comfort of my office rather than trying to key it in the GPS only to
find out that US-60 is IH-60 or GW Bush Highway etc. on the side of the road.
In addition there are many POI sites where you can download categories like...
All the Subway Restaurants, All known Traffic Cameras for AZ.  Download from
these and upload via mapsource or POI loader.  Example sites include:
GPS-POI-US  POI
Factory, POInUSA, and POI2Go.com.

I have a lot of fun pre-planning trips using these sites.  It's planning a
virtual vacation.  Plus, I enjoy sites like trip-advisor and urban-spoon which
include ratings and review from real folks not advertisers.

Garmin Mapsource has 16 user definable categories so I have mine setup for
Campsites, Public Campgrounds, RV Dump Sites, Star Party (sites), Restaurants,
GeoCache, Places of Interest, etc.  Each category has it's own icon that
uploads to the GPS.  For instance StarParty has it's own Little Green Alien
head for each site.  Campsites have a green tent.  Places of Interest have a
camera.  Etc.

In addition, mapsource allows you to load different mapsets such as City
Navigator ($), Topo US ($), Arizona Topo (Free), Bryce Zion Hikes (Free),
Nothern Arizona 24K (Free), Southern UT 24K Topo (Free).  So for my Nuvi Series
I download waypoints, and routes.  I also have a handheld Garmin that I use in
the field for hiking, biking, geocaching, etc., and Mapsource loads to it as
well.  Depending on your handheld model you can download the high definition
topo maps, satellite overlays, and more.

Mapsource is free for download from Garmin and comes with a free basemap.
There are many pay maps, but there are also many downloadable free maps.  Just
search for Free maps for Garmin GPS.

In summary, if your GPS(s) have an upload port and you're not using it, you're
likely missing out on many cool features.  Check it out!

Steve