[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing Sites Map

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 11:31:58 -0700

My tuppence?  Great idea!

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, Arizona

-----Original Message-----
From: az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:az-observing-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
ketelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:08 AM
To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AZ-Observing] Re: Observing Sites Map

Hi Howard-

I like it!  What I would like is a state-wide guide for those of us who "get
around" so to speak.  So a single source like this from the Chiricahuas in
the
SE to Lippan Point and Cape Royal at the Canyon would be great!  Most all
clubs
get occasonal requests from visitors that are traveling through the area
looking for prime spots.  What is the feeling of adding more and opening up
the
resource to the other clubs or traveling astronomers?  Of course, some sites
like the new TAAA Chiricahua Astronomy Complex is behind a gate and entry
needs
to be coordinated, but I think a statewide resource would be invaluable to
all.
In fact a lot of sites are like that - the picnic area on Kitt Peak is
reservable for a nominal fee and is a fantastic site with flush toilets and
paved road to the 6500 elevation site.  What do you think?

-Dean

Quoting Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> After a fair bit of research I managed to put together
> a Google Maps map of observing sites in Arizona that can
> be shared with you.  The link below is the only way to get
> to my map so only members of EVAC, Ariz-obs, and SAC will have access
> (assuming you don't forward the link to others.)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=102983467099648817705.00048
5cdc1b6ea3c3d579