[AZ-Observing] Observing Report, F.L. Whipple Observatory Star Party 03/26/2011

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:12:16 EDT

Event: Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory Astronomy Day
Location: F.  L. Whipple Observatory Visitor's Center, Amado, Arizona,
about 60 miles from  home.

Weather: 70 at sunset, upper 50s when we quit around 9:30 PM. Zero  cloud
cover, two or three brief gusts of wind.

Seeing and Transparency:  Both very good, occasional snaps into moments of
sharp  steadiness.

Equipment:
18" f/5 2286mm Teeter Telescope newtonian  truss dob, Sky Commander DSCs

Lunt LS60THa/B600 60mm H-Alpha solar  telescope on Orion Atlas EQ-G mount

Astronomy Days are periodic public  outreach events sponsored by the
Smithsonian's F.L. Whipple Observatory Visitor  Center and put on by Green
Valley's Sonora Astronomical Society with some  assistance by members of the
Tucson
Amateur Astronomy Association.

This  is always an enjoyable event to support; a tremendous family
entertainment and  education opportunity. Key events for this event were the
Visitor
Center opening  at 5:00 PM: several of us set up white light and H-Alpha
telescopes for safe  solar viewing from 5:00 PM to sundown; a Night Sky
Network information and demo  table set up by SAS; an informal lecture at
sunset
presented by Observatory  staff; and night sky observing with SAS and TAAA
volunteers. I'm not sure how  many volunteer amateurs we had setting up, but I
counted about 15 near me. We  had a full complement of instruments set up,
with a 20" truss dob, my 18"  Teeter, and just about every type of
reflector, refractor, and SCT in all  sizes.

This was a busy day for me. Susan and I started off the day by  doing the
Spring trimming and pruning of the ground plants around the yard. I
proceeded with a demo on how not to use hedge trimmers, ending up with a
lacerated
finger bleeding like a garden hose. Eventually got it patched up, but  a
real nuisance. After the "don't do this" demo, I headed over to Catalina State
Park to check out some potential night activities. After we were done, I
headed  down to Whipple, about an hour's drive.

Arrival and setup went well. This  was my first try with the Lunt solar
scope. I mounted it on my Atlas EQ-G, way  over mounted. Since I hadn't done
solar work in the past and just showed up near  sundown, this early setup was
really convenient, not having to squeeze in late.  As I was setting up the
Atlas and Lunt, I noticed Derald Nye set up already on  Jupiter; just as he
does at the Grand Canyon Star Party, showing off the daytime  views of the
moon and planets.

The solar experience was a great success.  I was set up next to a person
from SAS (forgot the name!) who had an 11"  Celestron SCT with a white light
filter, and showing the artifacts on a mildly  active disk in two different
forms was a great teaching experience. Lots of  feathers around the limb in
Ha, with several active regions in the Ha matching  the sunspot groups in the
white light. Three very big surprises for me. First,  the number of
visitors. The local community turns out in force for these events  at Whipple.
stopped counting at well over 100 at my scope in about an hour and  a half.
Second, people seemed to have no trouble at all seeing the fine detail  on the
solar surface, and the detailed feathery activity on the limb. Finally, a
prominence shot out of the disk around forty minutes before I shut down at
dusk.  People were genuinely excited about the views, and comparing the
results with  the white light images on the 11".

With the disk on the horizon, I took  down the solar scope and mount and
unloaded the 18". As always, the gorgeous  cabinetry of Rob Teeter's work of
art drew accolades. I plugged in the battery  for the cooling fans, and setup
of the big dob was nominal except for an  excessive amount of time required
for collimation. Last night I was set up with  the 18" in Saguaro Park West
for the periodic Pima County Natural Resources  Parks and Recreation
Evening Under the Stars. The entry road into the site has a  lot of extremely
high
speed bumps, and what ever the speed, the load in the  truck is really
jostled heavily. This cause quite a bit of misalignment of the  secondary.
Eventually it all came together.

Our setup area is at the  base of the huge Whipple 10 meter gamma-ray
reflecting telescope. This  instrument is always on alert for gamma ray events,
and several times during the  late afternoon the big dish slewed around to
grab data from active events as  alerted. Very interesting!

As the sky darkened I did a little sky tour  for the thirty or so folks
gathered around my scope. I pointed out the stars as  they popped into the
twilight, and did a pointing tour of Sirius and Canis  Major, Betelgeuse and
Rigel, then the rest of Orion as elements popped out,  Castor, Pollux, and
Gemini, Regulus and Leo, The audience was great; they seemed  to enjoy the mix
of mythology and cosmology. A very enjoyable half hour walk  around the sky
as constellations became visible.

I moved over to Orion to  check the nebula and the sky conditions prior to
doing a DSC alignment. Never  got a chance to leave it! I did the talk for
this gorgeous item, which was  extremely impressive at 104X. Six stars in the
Trapezium were easily viewed and,  as always, the greenish, shimmering,
multi layered diaphanous curtain of  nebulosity produce a continuous stream of
Oh Wows. Over 200 visitors and two  hours later, with only a half dozen
folks in the area, I went over to Saturn. It  was still pretty low for this
long
dob, requiring a bit of a bend down at first  to get to the eyepiece. VERY
nice. I jumped up to 254X and we got four moons,  and, when the seeing would
snap through stability, crisp zonal banding on the  planet to go with a
sharp ring shadow across the disk. We stayed on it for about  45 minutes, and
the difference in the view as Saturn climbed out of the mud was  striking. We
ended up with most of us flatfooted, one or two needing a step on  the
ladder. Wonderful way to end the evening.

After the visitors had  departed and we were packing up, I went over to The
Whirlpool for a look. Still  a bit low to get the best experience, it still
showed much of its spiral detail.  A half dozen of us looked at it, then
time to pack up and depart.

I  really have to thank SAS, and F.L. Whipple Visitor Center, for always
doing so  well at putting on these events. They are very uplifting, and worth
every minute  to be involved and getting the public feedback.

I've posted a photo album  of the event in the TAAA Forum Photos area.

Jim O'Connor
South Rim  Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star Party
gcsp [at]  tucsonastronomy.org