[AZ-Observing] Observing Gyptis 444 from the City

  • From: "Jennifer Keller" <starhopper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:49:00 -0700

So last night, I headed into my front yard with Magpie,  a dozen pages on "The
Pest's guide to locating the 444 Gyptis Occultation" (Thanks to everybody!) to
search for an invisible asteroid occulting a nearly invisible star through
layers of stratus-contrailus illuminated by mercury vapor.  And maybe I saw
them and maybe I didn't.  There were a few close doubles in the area that could
have been them but only having the patience to observe a few moments I didn't
notice the separation widening.  How long would you have to view the pair to
notice?  Could I even be seeing 10th & 11th magnitude?

So I turned to surfing the light dome's skyline, starting with the open
non-observatory dome of BOB, and heading W. through the Banks with upside down
names, further W to be saddened that some structure is now blocking my view of
the Angel on the copper dome (also telescopeless/ non-observatory), onto trying
to read the upside down temperature on the upside down Shamrock (maybe 82 or 58
degrees?) and then surfing back E. I discovered two really grand SN with every
color light in the spectrum, each taking my entire field of view and placed
neatly into the grandest Aurora Borealis ever!  So at least the night was not
an entire loss!  Look for them at about 1 degree altitude and 1 degree azimuth
(from my front yard near S. Phoenix)  Hey, BTW,  did you know Bob Dylan will be
at the AZ State Fair on October 21st!  Bob Dylan? AZ State Fair? What's the
world coming to?