[AZ-Observing] Observers at Marathon site

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: SMTP <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:36:59 -0700

Howdy all;

We have five folks already at the Messier Marathon site at the Salome
airstrip.  The directions are on the SAC website  www.saguaroastro.org

Last night I got all set up and did some casual observing with the C 8
on the CGEM mount.  Once I got balanced and on the pole everything
worked just fine.  I chased some bright deep sky objects and did a few
double stars.  I will need to collimate once it gets dark tonight.  The
seeing was mediocre last night.  I plan to put the ED 80 refractor on
the mount for some imaging later in the week.

Lori said that she and Jennifer had over 60 requests for the meal on
Saturday.  I am happy that so many folks have decided to attend.  I have
always said that if you create something for Arizona astronomers to do,
they will show up.  It is always gratifying.

I do have a list I made up of double stars that contain a red carbon
star and that is what I plan to do tonight.  It is easy to make up, I
just searched the SAC double star database for the word "carbon".

I hope to see you out here when you get a chance;
Steve Coe