[AZ-Observing] Observation of Jenn's Confluence

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 23:01:00 -0700

Howdy all;

I am just getting it together so I am entering my notes from last Thursday
into the computer.  Anyway, here is an observation of Jenn's Confluence
which is northwest of M 24 in Sagittarius.  I was using the 6" f/8 refractor
with a 14mm eyepiece.  The observation was on a night I rated 6/10 for
seeing and 7 for transparency.

Jenn's Confluence   18h 13m  -18 47   15 arc minutes in size

This asterism consists of two curved chains of stars and it stands out
nicely from the rich Milky Way background.  The two chains do not quite
touch, but they do approach each other rather closely.  The eastern chain is
longer and consists of 10 stars of magnitudes 8 and 9.  The western chain
shows 8 stars and includes the double star John Herschel (h) 594.  The
double is easily split and resolved into two pretty bright and very yellow
stars with good color.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe