[AZ-Observing] Re: Obs Sites West of Tucson

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:00:58 -0700

You could try Pinal Peak.  A group of us observed from there a few years
back, fairly good.  It is a little further than 1 hour, but not much.
Drive into globe then up the mountian, you can get to about 7000ft.
There are some open spots around the radio gear up top, get to the top
during daylight so you can find a spot.

I centered the topozone link on the spot we used on the south facing
slope...
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=3682682&e=515917&size=l&datum=nad83
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=33.277158,-110.814285&spn=0.173938,0.267792&t=h&om=1

Andrew

BillFerris@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Last night with the help of excellent directions off Andrew Cooper's
>website, I drove with my group to the Las Cienegas site and observed until
>about
>1:30 am. Today, clouds and moisture have been building into the SE corner of
>Arizona from Mexico. This has me leaning toward finding an observing site west
>
>of Tucson for tonight and into the weekend. But, other than Kitt Peak, there's
>
>no obvious observing site at higher (4500 feet or more) elevation within an
>hour's drive of the Tucson/Green Valley area.
>
>Any suggestions where we might head? We've got 4 vehicles, though it might
>be possible to condense the 10 of us and our scopes to 3 vehicles. If you
>prefer  to reply by email, I'm at _billferris@xxxxxxxx
>(mailto:billferris@xxxxxxx)

Andrew Cooper