[AZ-Observing] Re: OK, I'll start....where's everyone headed?

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Thom/TFW <mthomj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:16:30 -0700

I have been wanting to do a two night observing run this weekend and
came up with several options before making a decision; and here it is.

I'm going to take up the Sedona Astronomy Clubs
(http://www.users.qwest.net/~emwalczak/) invite from Thom Walczak
(mthomj@xxxxxxxxx) and be at their site north of Stoneman Lake Rd.  Thom
made the invite at the last SAC meeting.

Joe Goss and I hope to meet there Friday, around 6:00pm MST.  The
elevation is about 7600' and if it is way to cold Friday night our plans
are to spend Saturday night at Cherry Rd.  Anyone wishing to join the
fun is invited.

     D I R E C T I O N S   T O   S T O N E M A N   L A K E   S I T E

I have never been to this site before and these directions come from
discussions with Thom and the Sirius Lookers web site.

Coming from Phoenix, take I-17 north to Stoneman Lake exit; it is past
Camp Verde and is about 1.5 hours drive in normal traffic conditions.  I
don't know the exit number but if you get to Munds Park or Flagstaff you
have gone to far.

Get off at this exit and turn right, east; after about two miles the
hard surface road becomes a dirt washboard road so be careful of your
driving as it will be rough in places.  Go 11 miles on this road - from
the exit, to a another dirt road on your left (north).  I don't know how
much time this part will take but 30 minutes seems like a reasonable
guess.  If this turn is missed, you will come to Lake Mary Rd - a hard
surface road which you can't really miss.  Turn around and go back about
one mile to the dirt road that goes north.

Stay on the dirt road going north for about 1.5 to 2 miles to a large
open field.  That's the spot!  They set up on the north end of this
large field (look for Thoms pop-up camper).  Do not try to cross the
field....follow the road till you are even with them and cross at right
angle. Thom and his wife and are planning on camping there this
weekend.  Maps can also be found on the Clear Sky Clock page Stoneman Lake.

Thom will be getting there around 4:00pm or 5:00pm and post some signs.

One more thing . . . the observing site is called Blind Lake.  It isn't
full of water.

Again, as indicated in the intro, I've never been to this site and the
directions are from suggestions by others, so be careful!

I've seem there are several SAC members headed for Cherry Rd for
Saturday night.  It is beginning to shape up like a very active
observing run - - - something which we have all been looking forward to.

Clear skies,

aj